Featured Artists

Featured+Artists

Sara Monim, Reporter

Each week the Art Department selects and features an ‘Artist of the Week’. The artist and their work are displayed on the WSHS Art Department website and in the main office of the high school. The five visual art instructors alternate picking the art of the week and base their decision on the time, exertion, and craftsmanship that was put into the work. The department began this with an end goal to celebrate and perceive diligent work, and to feature this work so students, teachers, and guardians can see what are the other students doing throughout the year.

One of the fine arts that have been chosen to be displayed is a watercolor landscape drawing by Sophie Coyne. She was in 2D foundations with Mr. Bell at that time. They were asked to draw a scene watercolor utilizing a particular shading plan such as the use of color triad, cool colors, and complementary colors. Sophie chose to use cool colors for her painting. Cool colors incorporate distinctive shades of blue, green, or purple. “To do the reflection on the water I first drew the exact replication of the trees but slightly blurrier, for the painting I used a lot of water to make it seem less solid” said Sophie. Sophie explained that she utilized “wet in wet” strategy to make the hues in the sky.  In order to create this effect, you wet your paper and after that you apply your colors into the wet zone. This makes the hues flow and mix into each other in a unique way.

Mikayla Kudron also created a watercolor scene that was selected and displayed. She created two paintings: one was made using warm colors, while the other used cool colors. Students enrolled in art classes all have the chance to be featured as the artist of the week.

You can see more of the student’s fine arts by going to the school’s site and tapping on the art of the week which is available on the right side of the page. Also, Check out the WSHS Art Department website and see the many creative artists and artwork our school has to offer.