Thoroughly Modern Millie

Drama club rehearses songs after school for

Drama club rehearses songs after school for "Thoroughly Modern Millie".

Olivia Acevedo, A&E Editor

Thoroughly Modern Millie is a popular musical that tells the story of a small town girl, Millie Dillmount, who goes to New York City with the intentions of marrying someone wealthy in order to help resolve a big problem of hers. The play is set in 1922, a time period when women were just starting to enter the workforce.  As she is in New York, she begins to become accustomed to the flapper lifestyle. However, Millie begins to endure problems when she checks into a hotel that is owned by the leader of a white slavery ring in China. The original musical has music written by Jeanine Tesori, lyrics by Dick Scanlan and directed by George Hill Roy.  This year’s musical is being directed by former student and drama club member, Chris Webber.  

Cast members are enthusiastic about the musical and are enjoying being a part of the production. “I like everything about the play honestly. It’s a time period show taking place in the 1920s so it’s very interesting working with a different time period. The characters are very funny and positive.  It’s very spunky and a very fun show,” said drama club president, Trevor Morin. He and many others described the play to have a “very high energy”.  Even the drama club choreographer, Gabby Biseinere, said, “I love it.  Everyone practices and you can tell they work so hard to make it a great show.”  Gabby’s role behind the scenes is to teach the cast the dances and songs within the musical.  According to Faythe Renee, who has the lead role in the play, “It’s very light and it’s very peppy. From an audience’s perspective, it will be more entertaining because it’s bigger and broader.”

Compared to previous comedic plays, Thoroughly Modern Millie is even more upbeat and energetic. Every character is involved and easily won by the audience. “Even the villain is fun. Everyone is much more involved,” said Mackenzie Strong.

The cast is confident about the upcoming show. I think this will show people we really can be good even though we’re a high school group. I think we’ll surprise a lot of people in how good it will be.” said Trevor Morin.  

If you are interested and curious about the drama club’s 1920s spring production, Thoroughly Modern Millie, the dates are April 6, 7 and 8 at 7:00.

• Thoroughly Modern Millie

Arts & Entertainment

A Bookworm’s Guide to a Cozy Winter

• Thoroughly Modern Millie

Arts & Entertainment

Favorite Festive Films

• Thoroughly Modern Millie

Arts & Entertainment

Drama Club Showcases Talents in “Peter and the Starcatcher” Performance

• Thoroughly Modern Millie

Arts & Entertainment

Drama Club Tells Unknown Neverland Tale

• Thoroughly Modern Millie

Arts & Entertainment

“Turtle in Paradise” Comes to WSHS

• Thoroughly Modern Millie

Arts & Entertainment

Terrier Times Top 5 Netflix Originals

• Thoroughly Modern Millie

Arts & Entertainment

Non-Horror Halloween Movies

• Arts & Entertainment

Underrated Fall Fun

• Thoroughly Modern Millie

Arts & Entertainment

Deck the Halls With Works of Art

• Arts & Entertainment

Classic Films To Catch Up On This Summer

Thoroughly Modern Millie