Classic Films To Catch Up On This Summer

With the school year finally coming to a close and summer right around the corner, new experiences and memories are sure to come along with it.  However, summer doesn’t always have to be filled with crazy, time-consuming activities.  Sometimes on a rainy day, you just want to stay home and have a day for yourself.  On a day like this, watching a movie or two is probably something that comes to mind.  If you decide to do so, I recommend taking the time to watch some classic films.  There are films for all kinds of genres and preferences; therefore, everyone is sure to find something that they like.  The following article mentions some of the top films ever created, and are sure to entertain people of all different varieties.  

John Hughes’ classic comedic skills and character are what allow him to play the cunning and clever lead role in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off .  The high school senior plots to skip school while faking sick and having an adventurous day with his best friend and girlfriend.  However, he has to try to continue with his day without getting caught by his school principal.  

Having the ever so popular Adam Sandler in one of his best works, he plays Happy Gilmore, who dreams of becoming a pro hockey player.  However, he realizes he cannot fulfill his dream when he finds out his grandma is about to lose her home.  Instead of pursuing his hopes and dreams, he goes after an entirely different sport through which he hopes to win enough money to buy it for her.  

When two star-crossed lovers (Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet) find each other on the maiden voyage of the RMS Titanic, they go on to spend the next few days confessing their love for each other.  Their lives are put on the line however, when the “unsinkable ship” crashes into an iceberg, putting their love to the ultimate test.

Nicholas Sparks writes the classic love story, The Notebook, with Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams starring as the beloved Noah and Allie.  The two find a real love between each other and are hopelessly in love.  With the strict, disapproving parents of Allie, the two’s relationship falls apart and Noah goes to serve in WWll.  Knowing that the relationship isn’t done yet, Noah does all that he can to try and find his way back to Allie.  

Steven Spielburg directs his world-famous Jaws, where a fictional New England summer town Amity Island is being terrorized by a large, man-eating, great white shark. Prompting the town’s police chief Martin Brody, a local shark hunter known as Quint, and oceanographer Matt Hooper to hunt down the beast. But things quickly get out hand once the ragtag crew realizes, “We’re gonna need a bigger boat.”

Based on the novel by Steven King, “The Shining” is a must-see thriller. Jack Nicholson plays Jack Torrance who becomes a caretaker at the Overlook Hotel in Colorado in hopes to cure his writer’s block; doing so, he brings his family alongside.  While he is at the hotel, he learns about the dark secrets that have taken place in it, and the hotel slowly turns Torrance into a mad man with the intentions of killing his family.

In this cult classic slasher film directed by Sean S. Cunningham, a group of teenagers attempt to reopen an old camping ground: Camp Crystal Lake. Soon, however, the teenagers realize that they’re not alone at the camp, and they’re slowly picked off one by one while trying to unravel the secrets of who this killer really is.

Another low-budget slasher flick, A Nightmare on Elm Street, follows the story of a group of teenagers who are stalked and killed in their dreams — and then in reality, by a one Freddy Krueger. Unbenounced to the teenagers however, their parents are keeping a dark and “fiery” secret from them.

Based on the musical of the same name, Grease the film follows the lives of two Rydell High School students, Danny Zuko and Sandy Olsson, in the mid 1950’s. Fearing that she may never see Danny again once she leaves for Australia, the two try to fall in love once again before they bid adieu in this classic romantic musical. This is the perfect story of a summer romance with a soundtrack you wont be able to stop singing all summer long.

In this adaptation of the famous Broadway musical of the same name, this ten time academy award winning film follows the story of two rival Manhattan gangs, the Jets and the Sharks, fighting for control on West Side’s Lincoln Square. However, the gang’s quickly learn that Tony, of the Jets, and Maria, sister to one of the Sharks, have a profound love for each other, and the musical turns into something of a modern day Romeo and Juliet story.  

Based on the Broadway musical of the same name, the Sound of Music follows the story of a young Austrian woman, Maria, who is studying to become a nun but is sent by her villa to be the governess for retired naval officer Captain Georg von Trapp’s, seven children. Teaching the children the values of song and music, Maria is soon gripped with the realities of love, faith, and war, in this classic 1960’s film.

In another classic Steven Spielberg film, the science fiction and fantasy adventure follows the story of a young boy named Elliott who befriends an extraterrestrial (E.T.) who’s stranded on Earth. Seeing his alien companion in distress, Elliott and his siblings try to get E.T. home, all while keeping E.T.’s existence hidden from their mother, and the government.  

In the rural areas of Oklahoma, a teen gang known as the Greasers, are mortal enemies with another gang, the Socials.  However, on one occasion, two fellow Greasers, get into a fight with the Socialists.  This brawl then ends in the death of one Socialist and causes the Greasers to have to go into hiding.  As time goes on, many eventful things happen to the Greaser gang.  While some try and fix their lives, others face fatal endings.

Tom Hanks stars as beloved Forrest Gump, and takes us through his eventful life.  In this film, Forrest is a slow, disadvantaged individual, who goes through life seemingly swept along by fate. Telling his story to whomever happens to sit next to him on the bus stop bench, he narrates in his classic voice.  He goes on to have many life changing experiences such as fighting in Vietnam, become a football player, embracing of his running abilities, and even finding love with his life-long friend, Jenny.  She is his life-long love, but found many difficulties in trying to keep her close.

In this timeless space opera film franchise, Star Wars follows the epic story of the ongoing struggle between the Jedi and the Sith, in a galaxy far, far away. The series follows the challenges and struggles characters of the likes of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luke Skywalker, and Rey, face across all seven main films in the hopes to bring peace to the galaxy once again. But will they be able to put an end to the Emperor’s Galactic Empire, or Kylo Ren’s First Order?

In this neo-noir science fiction flick, we find a dystopian Los Angeles in which genetically engineered “replicants”, machines that are indistinguishable from humans, are being manufactured for off-world colonies. It’s illegal for any of these mac

hines to roam free on Earth, and the plot focuses on a group of recently escaped replicants led by Roy Batty, who are being hunted down by the burnt-out expert Blade Runner Rick Deckard. But Deckard struggles to work around the harsh moral questions of man vs. machine, love, and coexistence, making for an epic sci-fi adventure.   

In this legendary sports film, a small town boxer known as Rocky, is involuntarily appointed to take on a fight with Apollo Creed,  who happens to be the reigning world heavyweight cham

pion.  He begins to train with Mickey Goldmill in preparation for his big fight.  However, while doing so, he begins to fall in love with his friend’s sister, Adrian.  This classic is able entertain many people because of the dramatic, romantic and sporty genres. Viewers who want to see more of Rocky can also watch the sequels which were also popular.

In a tiny town in Indiana, a failed college coach named Norman Dale gets a second chance.  He is given the opportunity to coach a high school basketball program.  However, the star player is removed from the team, needing to focus on his education.  This setback causes Norman to struggle throughout the season when trying to build a successful.  Things seem to feel worse while being accompanied by his assistant coach, Shooter, who is known to be an alcoholic.