Concert Terror: Fight It With Love

Just weeks after the terrorist attack, a benefit concert called One Love Manchester was organized to raise money for victims.

Alyssa Blair, News Editor

On the night of May 22, 2017, Ariana Grande performed a concert in Manchester, Britain. What was supposed to be a joyous and memorable occasion for all who attended the concert was instead a scary and unforgettable tragedy when a suicide bomber, Salman Abedi, detonated a bomb in the middle of her show. He was responsible for injuring 59 people, and killing 22 others ― including children. Credit was later claimed by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, better known as ISIS.

When news of this hit the web and I saw it on my Twitter feed, I had a mixed reaction. Initially, I felt fear,  followed by a feeling of physical sickness, and finally I felt like I wanted to cry. The fact that innocent people were killed, at a concert no less, makes me wonder what the world is coming to.

The attacks in Manchester are not the first time we as a country have seen terrorist attacks. We’ve seen them across the world, like last year’s multiple terrorist attacks in France on innocent civilians. We’ve even seen them happening right in our own nation, like last year’s Orlando nightclub shootings and more tragically, the destruction of the twin towers on September 11, 2001. Terror is no new thing to us in the US, but to England, this was the first terrorist attack on their soil since 2005.

As a big fan of music, I know that the concerts I’ve been to were some of the best nights of my young life. Getting to see the talent of my favorite singers and bands first hand, sharing it with complete strangers who I only have the love for the singer in common with, and singing the lyrics while getting lost in the show, those are nights I will never forget. That’s what concerts are supposed to be. A night to build memories, a night to have fun, a night where nothing but that moment in time should matter and you can just exist.  

It’s bad enough that Salman Abedi took away the feelings of safety and security that many in England probably had. It’s bad enough that he promoted terrorism to any other terrorists in England and all over the world. The thing that makes me the most enraged is that he took away a simple liberty of the people. He ruined a completely leisure and innocent activity for not only anyone in that Manchester arena that night, but also for many other future concert-goers, because now no one will be able to stop wondering if that person next to them is a terrorist. It will be difficult to sit through and enjoy a show without wondering whether or not that backpack in front of them holds a bomb that will blow them to bits any second.

Four years ago, two bombs were detonated in an act of terrorism right here in Massachusetts, at the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013. In the aftermath, several hundred were injured, including 16 that had lost limbs, and three were dead, once again including a young child. People all over the country and perhaps even the world lived in fear that yet another simple pleasure of life meant to be an accomplishment in it of itself had been taken away in the face of terrorism. Yet, when the next Boston Marathon rolled around in April of 2014, runners were ready and eager to run the course once again, determined not to live in fear.     

Just weeks after the bombing shook both her and the world, Ariana Grande returned to Manchester to perform at an event called One Love Manchester in support of those injured by the bombings. Along with Ariana Grande came singers like Miley Cyrus, Mac Miller, and Niall Horan, and the whole event was about promoting and choosing love everyday. That’s really the only way we can fight this awful thing that is terrorism.

Terrorism isn’t something that we can just take out in one battle, it’s always going to be a long war we will need to fight. No matter how many soldiers we send overseas, no matter what type of weaponry we develop, terrorism will exist. The only real ways we can fight it are and that’s by choosing to love instead of hate, and refusing to live in fear.

I and the world ask you to choose love everyday. You never what your choice today could do for someone tomorrow.

• Concert Terror: Fight It With Love

Opinions

Climate Change or Climate Chaos?

• Concert Terror: Fight It With Love

Opinions

Team Trades-What You Need to Know

• Concert Terror: Fight It With Love

Opinions

No True Feminist is Anti-Men

• Concert Terror: Fight It With Love

Opinions

Take Them Down vs Leave Them Up

• Concert Terror: Fight It With Love

80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorials Fall 2017

• Concert Terror: Fight It With Love

Opinions

Fox News Founder Broke America, Then Died

• 80 Second Editorials

Spring 80 Second Editorials

• Concert Terror: Fight It With Love

Opinions

Novel Turned Netflix Series Goes Wrong?

• Concert Terror: Fight It With Love

80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorials

• Concert Terror: Fight It With Love

Opinions

Be true to yourself, not your selfie

Concert Terror: Fight It With Love