Does High School Prepare Us for College?

Olivia Acevedo, Editor in Chief

Throughout almost every person’s life, there is one thing that causes complete stress, anxiety, and utter exhaustion.  It’s what has you on your toes for many years and has been known to determine the rest of your career, and the rest of your life.  School.  The absolute most tiring and stress-inducing institution that almost all people are familiar with.  Ever since a very young age, people have been told that school is a priority above everything and that it is what allows you to have the future life you’ve always wanted.   However, a popular question has recently been up for debate.  Are people putting in tireless work, especially during their high school years, and still not attaining the skills they need for college?  This topic may seem ridiculous at first.  How can high school not prepare you for college?  What else have you been doing all those years? Yet, it may be true.

According to a recent study done by The Hechinger Report in Baltimore City Community College, more than half a million of first-year students enrolled at two to four-year schools were not ready for college level work.  It is also stated that most schools place students in remedial math or English courses before they can move onto college level work.  This process itself is not only a drain on students, it’s a financial drain which can cost up to seven billion dollars a year.  This same survey also shows that a lot of times, the students who enroll in these remedial classes, do not make it to the classes intended towards their degree. It is not only in Baltimore where this is a trend, but many other states seem to be struggling with student remediation rates.  If you’re not going to be prepared for college coming out of high school, will you be prepared to go into the real world coming out of college?

History teacher, Mr.Gillane, and part-time professor at Manchester Community College in Connecticut described the college workload as, “twice as much, twice as fast.”  He has been exposed to mass controversy about remedial college courses. These courses are taken by those who need to understand the basics of reading and writing but are not considered as accredited courses.  Therefore these students are spending their money, only to get 0 credit back, which is why this has become such an issue.  Although, there are sessions that help tutor students to catch up with coursework which is included in tuition.  In his own experience, Gillane explained that sometimes colleges will use SAT scores for Math and English so to fit you into the most appropriate class, or a regular placement test. He states that “It is truly up to the student to take their education to heart”. The huge jump between high school and college is not as bad if you are committed beforehand.  Due to college consisting of a lot of critical thinking, he considers it the biggest adjustment which is why the staff at West Springfield High try to incorporate that into their curriculum.  He feels the staff tries to prepare students for college one step at a time. “Many students entering college with critical thinking skills.  At WSHS, we are trying to emphasize critical thinking into the depth of knowledge, something that will benefit them during and after college,” Gillane said.  

High School graduate, Carolina Gonzalez, attended Western New England University and described the jump from high school to college as very different.  “You get to college and you literally make a decision whether to go class or do your homework or not,” said Gonzalez.  Like many other schools, WNEU requires students to take a Math and English placement test in order to identify proper placement into classes. Other than that everyone is thought to have the same knowledge and skill sets.  In Gonzalez’s experience, academic support was available for those who may struggle with testing, but remedial classes were not available for students.

Despite the fact that some college remedial classes are not accessible to students, IEP’s are allowed to carry over to most colleges.  An IEP is a document developed for students who may need special accommodations.  If you qualify for IEP in high school, your parents and teachers work with the Guidance Department to put the plan in place and make sure that is helping the students.  However, that may be part of the issue.  The parents are the ones who typically initiate the help needed to accommodate the student.  When it’s time for the student to go to college, students are the ones who must take control of their own life.  Assuming that the student needs their IEP carried over, they must schedule the arrangements for themselves so that their needs are met.  

Both Gillane and Gonzalez agreed that the amount of work you put into high school will affect your college experience. In Gonzalez’s experience, the connection is huge. “If you skip class the teacher won’t tell you what you missed, so I think high school should do a better job of teaching self-discipline rather than monitoring,” she said.  In college, you make more of your own decisions such as choosing to do homework or go to class, or even asking to go to the bathroom.  Everything is entirely on your own and your success depends mostly on work ethic so high school definitely creates a barrier to self-decision.  

In the case of Springfield College, remedial classes are not available at the school. When talking to the Dean of Admissions of Springfield College, Mary N. DeAngelo, she explained, “Typically if students need support, they go to a community college and then transfer.”  In her experience at the school, DeAngelo explained how most students who are selected for college are usually the one who worked hard in high school and are able to carry over a good work ethic to their college years.  Although as much as the students who work hard tend to struggle less, according to DeAngelo, even the most hardworking of students, have a very hard time adjusting to the amounts of reading.  “The faculty is also able to recognize this.  You have to read in all your courses and that’s where time management is key,” she said.  However, despite this, in her years of involvement with the college level, DeAngelo generally felt that most incoming students are ready for college.  “Every student is exposed to the same opportunities, but everyone takes them differently. Those who are well prepared and take advantage can also be prepared to be successful,” she said.   

Kimberly Bigelow, Assistant Director of Admissions at the University of Hartford also said there are also no remedial courses available at the University, however, they have Hilliard College.  Hilliard College is one of seven institutions that provide academic support for students that may need it.  The college consists of smaller class sizes and provide support for writing, math, labs, academic coaching and grant the first two years of the college experience to have a supportive atmosphere.  In Bigelow’s experience, the hardest thing for incoming students is time management skills.  “You don’t have your mom or dad. It’s an independent living style where you take care of yourself and make sure your work is done. Your skills are really put to the test,” she said.  However overall Bigelow believes that high school students are prepared for college.  

“It mostly depends on every student and their skill set. I would definitely advise students to start looking at schools early and know what you want from your college experience,” she said.

All in all, colleges seem to agree that incoming students tend to be prepared for college.  Although time management seems to be the main struggle that students need to overcome, college is about seeing what you can do as a student, and how far you’ll go as a person.  If you work hard and prepare yourself, the possibilities are endless.