Coming to Theaters in 2018…

January 29, 2018

The Incredibles 2, to be released June 15, 2018 (Pixar)

Many people may remember watching The Incredibles as a kid. The movie focused on the Parr family, a family of superheroes in a world where superheroes were practically hunted down. They live their lives normally- the older kids, Violet and Dash, went to school like everyone else and their infant brother Jack-Jack hadn’t even shown evidence of having superpowers yet. Their world was turned upside down when a new villain, Syndrome, surfaced and caused trouble, causing the family to put on their super suits and work together to fight him. The sequel, to be released in 2018, focuses on Mr. Incredible, the father of the family, taking care of his three children and Jack-Jack’s emerging powers while his wife is off saving the world. A beloved character from the first movie, Frozone, also reappears. Meanwhile, a new villain is introduced, called The Underminer, and the Parr family hopefully will save the day again.

A Wrinkle In Time, to be released March 9, 2018 (Walt Disney Pictures and Whitaker Entertainment)

This long-anticipated film, based on the children’s series by Madeleine L’Engle, is a great fantasy story starring a few big names. Meg Murry, portrayed by Storm Reid, and her younger brother Charles Wallace, Deric McCabe’s character, embark on a magical journey in search of their father. Their father, played by Chris Pine, was a scientist and has been missing for several years. Along with Meg’s classmate, Calvin O’Keefe, played by Levi Miller, they journey to a planet that possesses all the evil in the universe. How do they get there? They are guided by three astrological beings, Mrs. Who, Mrs. Which, and Mrs. Whatsit, ( Played by Mindy Kaling, Oprah Winfrey, and Reese Witherspoon) and together they travel using a method called the tesseract in search of Meg and Charles Wallace’s father.

Avengers: Infinity War, to be released May 4, 2018 (Marvel Studios)

The Avengers assemble to fight yet another foe, Thanos, portrayed by Josh Brolin. He is their most powerful enemy yet. Thanos is collecting six infinity stones which he will use to bend the world to his evil will. All the Avengers’ previous battles were practically a warm-up for Thanos, considering his power. The fate of Earth is in the greatest danger yet seen in the Marvel Universe. The movie, of course, stars the classic Superhero portrayals we all know and love, such as Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow and Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man.

Maze Runner: The Death Cure, to be released January 26, 2018 (20th Century Fox)

For those who read the Maze Runner series by James Dashner or saw the previous two movies, The Death Cure was a long-awaited film. With five books and only two, soon to be three, movies released, the Maze Runner series has been a big hit. The story is that of Tomas, played by Dylan O’Brien a boy who woke up one day in the middle of a civilization with no memory. He soon realizes that he and the other boys there are trapped. They all had no memory beyond the walls of their little prison, and there was no escaping. The first book’s title is The Maze Runner because of the huge maze that surrounds the prison. The maze is a mystery, but the characters suspect there may be a way out hidden within it, so they send people in daily. They don’t always make it out alive. Once Tomas and the others escape in the first film and are forced into a desolate desert landscape in the second, it seems their trials are far from over. In The Death Cure, the third movie to be released in 2018, the group enters the legendary Last City, and the questions of both the boys and the viewers will be answered, if, of course, they live.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crime of Grindelwald, to be released November 16, 2018 (Warner Bros. Pictures)

The Fantastic Beasts series began with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, released in 2016. The movie was a prequel to the famously well-loved Harry Potter series by J.K Rowling. The first film followed Newt Scamander, a young wizard, as he studies magical creatures. He has a logic-defying briefcase that is actually full of those beasts, and when some of them escape, he has to find them with the help of two witches and a no-maj. No-maj is also known as a muggle, meaning a person without magical abilities. A villain, Gellert Grindelwald, is introduced, which segues into the second film. In the soon-to-be-released movie, you can watch Newt join forces with the beloved Albus Dumbledore and fight Grindelwald together.

The Meg, to be released August 10, 2018 (Warner Bros. Pictures)

This high-action film plays into the beliefs of many people. The Meg is short for megalodon, which is essentially a prehistoric gigantic shark. It is thought, due to fossil evidence, that the meg was anywhere from 59 to 82 feet long. But is it really extinct? Due to the fact that so much of our oceans are unexplored, many people believe the megalodon is still in existence deep, deep down. This makes The Meg a very real fear for some people. The movie is about a deep-sea submersible that is attacked by a megalodon and is left unfixable at the bottom of the ocean with the crew still inside. Scientists on the surface are trying to save the crew, but time is running out.

Every Day, to be released February 23, 2018 (Orion Pictures)

Every Day, based on the novel, is not your average romance. The protagonist is a being called “A”, who has no physical form, gender, or even a proper name. Every day, hence the name of the film, “A” inhabits another person’s body, receiving access to their memories, and lives as them for a day. The people they become can be of any gender, race, orientation, status, or location, with the only common denominator being their age. “A” ‘ages’ by inhabiting people who are progressively older. They started out inhabiting babies, and are now inhabiting teenagers, so they age but are deprived of their own life choices. The movie kicks off when “A” is in the body of a boy, Justin. They go to school as Justin, prepared to live with him for a day, until they meet his girlfriend, Rhiannon. “A” begins to feel a connection with her, and attempts to explain to her that they are not Justin, but “A”. Rhiannon, understandably, takes quite a while to be convinced of this. Once she is, she and A try to find a way for them to stay in the same body indefinitely, because A can become someone from anywhere in the world, making a relationship between the two virtually impossible.

Terrier Times • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in