Winter Olympics Clouded in Controversy

Brianna DuMont, Reporter

The 2018 Winter Olympics will be one filled with controversy. The main controversy is the suspension of the Russian team based on drug violations in past Olympic competitions. This year, the county’s flag and anthem won’t be present at the games. Instead, athletes who had no previous drug violations, are being allowed to compete under the Olympic Flag as an “Olympic Athlete from Russia”. The Olympic Anthem will be used as well for this group, and an alternative logo was proposed on December 20th, 2017.

While in the past, Russian officials have said it would be a humiliation for the country if the athletes were not allowed to compete under the Russian Flag. However a spokesperson has stated that no boycott has been discussed, and on December 6th Putin stated that the Russian government will not prevent any athletes from participating as individuals in the Games.

Recently, North Korea and South Korea have met to discuss having athletes compete in the Olympics. The two sides will meet in the DMZ, the demilitarized zone between the two countries, to finalize details of the secluded countries involvement in the games. Monday,  January 15th, a spokesperson for South Korea said that they are in the process of coordinating the creation of an inter-Korean women’s ice hockey team, which would be made up of athletes from both nations. These meetings were the first time officials from both nations had met face-to-face in two years. So far the most significant development was North Korea’s decision to send a delegation of athletes, a cheering squad, an art troupe, a visitors’ group, a Taekwondo demonstration team and a press corps to the games next month.

The 2018 Winter Olympics are sure to break the ice between countries, athletes, and sports in ways we haven’t seen before.

Winter Olympics Clouded in Controversy