Drama Club Shakes it up with ‘Shakespeare Abridged’

The cast members posing for a picture before the show.

Olivia Acevedo, Editor- in-Chief

Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged) is a comedic parody of William Shakespeare’s most popular plays, mixed together to create one energetic, fun-filled, engaging performance. The first revision of the show was performed in 1987 and was written by Adam Long, Daniel Singer and Jess Winfield. The writers felt that the play would be more comedic if performed with only three people, and they were right.

“It was a really small cast with a really good group of people and I think it showed,” said drama club member Avery MacGrath. The play is brought to life with the witty comments, unexpected moments of laughter and even some audience participation.

A crucial part of the show is the importance of improvisation among the cast. Often times, pop culture references and sarcastic banter help to create a light-hearted, humorous atmosphere. Before the show started, people were repeatedly encouraged to yell out to the cast-members anything they wanted (appropriate obviously). In the very beginning of the Saturday show, one gentleman specifically repeatedly yelled out to the cast members, telling them what to do (as a joke). In response to him, one of the members referred to him as “a child”. The audience responded with laughter, including the man. Improvisations made the show hysterical and light-hearted.

The cast did an outstanding job incorporating such liveliness and energy into the show. For them to continuously run up and down the theater for two hours was quite entertaining to see. “It was one of the funniest shows I’ve ever been a part of,” said freshmen lead Ethan Gartska. At one point during the show, they noticed an important visitor present. Dr.Perrone was sitting among the audience but was a standout for the cast members. They brought him up to stage where he was given a role in relation to Ophelia’s character in Hamlet. He was running back and forth on the stage while the audience was separated and given distinct roles to yell out important chants for the scene being portrayed. It was a fun, amusing part of the show where everyone was involved and seemed to be a big hit!

The drama club did a superb job with The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged). It was obvious they put lots of hard work and effort to make sure the show was a success, and indeed it was. Mrs.Svec’s directing was contributed to that success and she had a great deal of talent to show off in the cast.

“We went on as ourselves, we kept our names for the characters and it showed the real actors having fun,” said lead cast member Robin Thatcher. For anyone who went to see the admirable show, make sure the cast doesn’t go unrecognized. A huge thank you to Mackenzie Strong, Ethan Gartska, Autumn Matthews, Emma Bowler, Avery Macgrath and Robin Thatcher. The show was exceptional and a job well done!

• Drama Club Shakes it up with ‘Shakespeare Abridged’

Arts & Entertainment

Sophomore is The Voice of Teen Band Vague Rendition

Arts & Entertainment

Drama Club Prepares for a Comedy You Don’t Want to Miss

Arts & Entertainment

Most Popular Slang Terms of Summer ’18

Arts & Entertainment

Senior Drama Club Members Take a Final Bow at West Side Story

Reviews

Band Makes Triumphant Return With New Sound

Arts & Entertainment

West Side Promposals 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Fine Arts Festival

Arts & Entertainment

Music With A Message

Arts & Entertainment

Welcome to Wakanda

• Arts & Entertainment

Summer Concerts to See