Behind the Crown- A Look at West Side’s Colleen and Her Court

Alyssa Blair, News Editor

On January 27, the St. Patrick’s Committee of West Springfield held the annual Colleen competition at the Springfield Country Club. Out of all the applicants in the whole pageant, the committee selected WSHS senior Jenna Melvin as the Colleen, with seniors Meghan Brassil, Erin Gladu, Hailey MacDonald, and junior Lauren Kenney as her court.

The pageant began with a presentation and introduction of all the applicants in the pageant. Then, the winner of the Nancy McLean scholarship was announced, who was the Terrier Times very own Hailey MacDonald. After the scholarship presentation, the five finalists were announced. These five young ladies would automatically be a member of the court. To determine who out of the five would be bestowed the title of Colleen, judges ask the final candidates to answer a specific question about something on their personal resume. Finally, all of the candidates are taken offstage and the court is announced, and then the Colleen. When their names were announced, the finalists all experienced similar reactions.

The Colleen and her Court ride their awardwinning float in the Holyoke St. Patrick’s Day parade, which took place on March 18

I was surprised because I didn’t think I would even get in, I just did it to have fun. Then after we all walked off stage, I began to get nervous because I remembered we had to answer a question in front of 200 people,” said junior court member Lauren Kenney.    

“I was both excited and relieved. We had done so much to prepare for the night and to finally know that I was on the court was a huge weight off my shoulders,” said senior court member Erin Gladu.

Preparations began around a month in advance when the application was released in early December. Prospective applicants were required to submit a personal resume, answering questions about their extracurricular activities, academics, personal achievements and Irish heritage, as well as submitting three essays about a variety of different topics. The essay is what determines the winner of the Nancy McLean scholarship.

After the applications were submitted and the deadline passed, the committee scheduled 10 minute interviews with all the applicants on the morning of the pageant, where they ask in-depth questions about the resume and essays that applicants submitted. That evening, the pageant announcing the final decisions and results took place.

Now that the pageant is over, the Colleen and her court simply don’t get to wear the title until the next court is picked. They have many responsibilities and events that they must attend, including riding on the Colleen float in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Holyoke on March 18, constructing their float, and going to various events in the Irish cultural community.  

The court and Colleen- Lauren Kenney, Erin Gladu, Jenna Melvin, Hailey MacDonald, and Meghan Brassil (from left to right)

After the contest, my court and I have to attend many community events, several a week. At these events, we often have to perform a dance routine, one that we have been practicing a couple days a week since the contest,” said Colleen Jenna Melvin.

It’s a lot of meeting people, introducing yourself (or having Jenna introduce us), and just being outgoing really. We also have to go down to the Big E and help build our float. We have commitments a few days a week, and as St. Patrick’s Day gets closer, there are more and more events,” said court member and senior Hailey MacDonald.

On March 18, the Colleen and court rode 

on their float in the parade, which featured a large castle, covered in flowers, with a high “tower” for Melvin, and a smaller, larger tier for the court members. Their float won first place for the best Colleen float.

There are many perks to being a part of the court. One of the best parts of being in the court, however, is getting to attend such events and community activities with their fellow court members.

“Overall I think my favorite part of being in the court so far is just spending time everyone t

The girls pose prior to kicking off the parade

hat I have encountered so far,” said senior court member Meghan Brassil.

“It  has been so fun to share this experience with them and I’m excited to spend the next month attending events with them,” agreed Gladu.

The application process, while proclaimed “not tedious at all”

by Brassil, is a lot to fill out. The St. Patrick’s Committee of West Springfield even offers a tea where applicants can receive advice and materials for their applications, resumes, and essays.

“During the interview, my best tips would be to be yourself and make s

ure you can talk about everything you put on your resume,” said Melvin.

“Just do it! Try your best, do your thing, and that’s all that matters. Winning doesn’t define success, trying something new and going out of your comfort zone does,” said MacDonald.

Keep an eye out for the Colleen of West Springfield and her court at any upcoming town functions and Irish cultural events.

• Behind the Crown- A Look at West Side’s Colleen and Her Court

News

Congratulations to Class of 2018

News

Irish Club Travels To The Land of Green

News

Save Yourself From the Sun this Summer

News

Finland’s Education System Ranks Higher Than America’s

News

Gamers Enjoy All PAX East Has to Offer

News

Students Explore the Tastes and Sights of Quebec

• News

New Classes Coming to West Side

• News

Some Obscure Majors…

News

PVTA Changes Burden the Population

National/Global

Why Has This Flu Season Been So Severe?