Students Explore the Tastes and Sights of Quebec

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Quebec trip participants in front of the Saint-Anne-De-Beaupre

Mikayla Kudron, Reporter

Thanks to the Foreign Language Department and club advisors, fifteen WSHS students were able to have a fun, educational, and picturesque spring vacation in Quebec, Canada. They explored local shops, ate delicious food, toured churches, hotels, and museums, and took in the sights of the beautiful city.

French students were able to use their classroom knowledge by ordering food and asking for directions in French. Although the souvenir shopping may have been the most fun for some students, the trip was undeniably a learning experience, as well as a great way to test independence with budgeting money and time.

When it came to food, students were immersed in maple everywhere they went. From savory crepes doused in maple syrup to toast with maple butter, the cuisine was certainly not like what they experienced in Massachusetts. The first food destination was a crepery, where students were served pea soup -which they either loved or hated- and a ham and cheese crepe. Many also poured maple syrup on their crepe, as was recommended, and were pleasantly surprised. “It’s funny because in Mass we typically have ketchup at every table in a restaurant, and in Quebec, they have syrup at every table,” said Hailey Bryden, French student, and junior at WSHS. For lunch each day, students were left to explore french bakeries and rustic cafes, though many retreated to the familiar McDonalds whenever available. “It was very challenging trying to order McDonald’s in French,” said Bryden. “We eventually found a nice old lady that was able to translate our order for us in French,” she said.  The travelers also had the chance to try maple pulling at the Sugar Shack, which is something anyone could try here in Massachusetts. Maple pulling is the act of drizzling maple syrup in a pile of snow and, once the syrup becomes tacky, spinning it on a popsicle stick to create a lollipop of sorts. A lot of time was still left for buying maple popcorn, maple cotton candy, hard blocks of maple sugar, and more. “We had maple at every single meal,” said Madame Moore.

The educational aspect of the trip to Quebec was very important, too. Students explored museums, including a presentation in Musee du Fort. Students also had a chance to learn about culture, such as historic battles, construction to accommodate the heavy snowfall, important buildings in pop culture, and Quebec’s government. Thanks to their tour guides, they were able to learn about how Quebec fought for independence from Canada and fun facts, such as how one of their most infamous battles only lasted twenty minutes.

On the final day of their trip, students ate at the Wendat reservation before touring the reservation and learning about the natives’ lifestyle, both past, and present. Madame Moore explained the Wendat reserve was her personal favorite stop on their trip. “I knew very

little about the First Nations in Canada prior to our trip, so it was really interesting to me to learn about their history and current legal status in Canada,” she said.

The only downside to the beautiful and historical Quebec was the weather. “We had uncharacteristically windy and freezing conditions, but everyone was really brave about it,” said Madame Moore, WSHS French teacher and an advisor of the Foreign Language Club. Although some activities had to be moved around, every aspect of the itinerary was still visited, including local shops, restaurants, museums, and a waterfall.

Although it can be a lengthy process to plan and coordinate taking a group of students out of the country, Madame Moore confirmed she would love to do it again. “I would like to take students to Quebec again in 2020, but next time, I’d love to go for Winter Carnival!” The Winter Carnival in Quebec was first celebrated in 1894 and includes dog sledding and other sports, a huge masquerade ball, and snow sculpting, among other things. The Foreign Language Club members and French students would love to see that! Thanks to Madame Moore, Spanish teacher Ms. Lugo, and the chaperones and parents involved, students were exposed to new cultures and experiences and had a great time doing it.

• Students Explore the Tastes and Sights of Quebec

News

Techniques Available to Shed Some Light on Seasonal Depression

News

Recent Scandals Highlight Social Media Security

News

Retired Reporter Advises Student Journalists

News

Ballot Breakdown

News

• News

Attendance Crucial to Academic Success

• News

Marriage Changes But Holds On to Timeless Elements

• News

New Year Brings New Lockdown Drills

News

Coach Leaves Lasting Impact On Many Lives

News

The Wave Of Vape Culture Clouds New Generation