80 Second Editorials October 2018

80 Second Editorials are questions created by the Terrier Times staff and answered by students and faculty. All questions are based on the personal opinions of participants and do not represent the opinions of the Terrier Times staff. The editorial questions are available on the Terrier Times website terrier-times.org.

What do you think of the current student parking policy? Why do you think it is or is not fair?

“The parking policy is completely unreasonable. There are plenty of parking spaces for sophomores to buy one too.” -Evelyn Morrissette, 10th Grade

“Don’t really know what it is, but as long as we get a parking section, I’m cool with it.” -Gabriel Gladden, 9th Grade

“I believe that the current student parking policy would benefit from a collaborative discussion  involving current student leadership.” -Mr. Desmond, English Teacher

“It seems fair enough. Thirty dollars isn’t too bad, especially since the school year consists of 180 days. It also makes sense that students can be ticketed if not properly parked. It’s getting us ready for college or the actual world.” -Nicholas Duquette, 11th Grade

What do you think of the changes in school safety drills? (fire drill, lockdown, etc.)

“I really like that administrators and safety officers will be “keying open” classrooms now after a real lockdown is over.  That’s much more reassuring than a P.A. announcement… The changes are a step in the right direction. I feel like we’re going to be be safer with our new plans.” -Mr. Bernard, Science Teacher

“I think they are well changed and they are safer for us.” -Zachary Richard Torres, 9th Grade

“I think they are more realistic for the many things that could happen.” -Mrs. Damseaux, Business Teacher

“I think the changes are fair, letting people know it is a drill so people don’t get anxiety over it.” -Giuliana DePergola, 9th Grade

How do you cope with the pressure and stress that comes with being a high school student?

“Sometimes I take a step back from everything and take a breather because I do become anxious and stressed easily. When I am stressed, I need to ask for help from anyone I can and just push through it.” -Madelyn Drohan, 10th Grade

“I have a busy schedule, but spending time with my friends, playing soccer, and dancing all help me to forget about it.” -Abigail Colson, 9th Grade

“I cope with stress by talking to my teachers about my work load and how that may be stressful for me.” -Lindsay Aubin, 12th Grade

“I take a nap, sometimes cry, but mostly take naps.” -Kathryn Manley, 12th Grade

Are you concerned about what is in the food you eat? Do you think there are benefits to dietary restrictions (organic food, gluten free, vegan, etc.)?

“Yes, I am concerned. I’m scared that consuming the chemicals we eat will end up harming us someday, so I think it’s better to eat organic foods.” -Arianna Karas, 9th Grade

“I am Vegetarian. I believe you are what you eat, and I can make great choices in this area!” -Mr. Desmond, English Teacher

“I am kind of concerned about what is in my food, but it doesn’t take too much control over my diet. I think there are benefits to dietary restrictions, but there could be negatives depending on the restriction.” -Roman Conca, 9th Grade

“There are certainly benefits to dietary restrictions, but then you can’t enjoy all the great food this world has to offer.” -Zachary Grant, 11th Grade

Is body image a problem for teenage girls? Is there too much pressure on females to have “the perfect body”? If so, what do you believe is the source?

“Yes, body image is a huge issue for teens today; especially for women. All over the internet and around schools from the mouths of teenage boys, comes the stereotype that all women are supposed to look a certain way and, if they don’t, they are unattractive. We hear things like ‘you’re flat’ or ‘you’re fat’ or ‘you’re too skinny’. It’s very degrading.” -Jenna Rusiecki, 10th Grade

“I think the source of the pressure is society and media. Everyone’s always pushing others to be “perfect” when perfect doesn’t exist.” -Morgan Gosselin, 10th Grade

“Some people are really obsessed with their body image. There is some pressure on females, but some people choose to ignore it more than others. The perfect body doesn’t exist.” -Urielys DelValle, 10th Grade

“Yes. Lots of teens get bullied and some of it has to do with their body image. People are constantly telling them they are not good enough, and that they won’t ever be pretty because they have a little extra MUSCLE on them.” -Madison Grant, 10th Grade

If our school was a movie, what movie would it be?

The Breakfast Club.” -Mrs. Svec, English Teacher

“Definitely not High School Musical.” -Keera Gray, 12th Grade

“Dude, where’s my car?” -Jack Sheckler, 10th Grade

Cars. Everyone drives on in life at different paces; some fast, some slow, some are more popular than others. Yet, ultimately, we’re all the same.” -Nicholas Duquette, 11th Grade

If you were the principal, what would be the first thing you would do?

“I would have an interview with the kids and ask them what they would want to change about what goes on in school; lunch wise, field trips etc.” -Moeen Aleem, 9th Grade

“Have more pep rallies or assemblies.” -Sean Lynch, 10th Grade

“I would try to find the main source of stress and see if I can do anything about it.” -Morgan Gosselin, 10th Grade

“Hire a guidance counselor specifically for high school drama so we don’t have to waste our current counselors time.” -Arianna Karas, 9th Grade

Do you think students have a voice at WSHS to make change? If so, how? If not, why?

“Yes. Although, it does seem that in order to start something we always need the help of an adult or parental figure because the school doesn’t trust solely student driven work. So, unless we can find a teacher that has similar interests, we are out of luck.” -Luke Dukette, 12th Grade

“I think students have a voice at WSHS. If they really want something done, they’ll do it. They are all capable of making a change (like the walkout last year). But, sometimes more than one person is needed to make that change.” Kathryn Manley, 12th Grade

“They most certainly have a voice. Well, they have ample opportunities to talk to the administration. Not necessarily that they’ll be listened to, but they can certainly talk.” -Everest Rainville, 11th Grade

“I do believe students have a voice to make a change, however, I think most things would be hard to change.” -Megan Blaney, 10th Grade

• 80 Second Editorials October 2018

80 Second Editorials

June 80 Second Editorial Responses

• 80 Second Editorials October 2018

80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorials

• 80 Second Editorials October 2018

80 Second Editorials

Take the latest 80 Second Editorial Survey

• 80 Second Editorials October 2018

80 Second Editorials

January 80 Second Editorial Responses

• 80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorial Questions-Winter Edition

• 80 Second Editorials October 2018

80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorial Responses

• 80 Second Editorials October 2018

80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorial Fall 2017 Responses

• 80 Second Editorials October 2018

80 Second Editorials

Spring 80 Second Editorial Responses

• 80 Second Editorials October 2018

80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorials January Responses

• 80 Second Editorials October 2018

80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorials October 2018