Marriage Changes But Holds On to Timeless Elements

Molly Kennedy, Sports Editor

When many people think of marriage, they think of soulmates, and sacred vows, and having someone you can cherish for the rest of your life. However, there are many other components to marriage. Marriage is a major commitment and getting divorced is a difficult process. The institution of marriage has changed through the years but the elements of a happy marriage remain the same.

The average age people get married in the US is around twenty seven to thirty years old, compared to in the 1960s where the the average age to get married was twenty to twenty three years old. Marriage ages increased because in the 1980s more people had the opportunity to finish college before settling down with someone. (Businessinsider)

There are exceptions to this. Some people are high school sweethearts and get married right after high school. Unfortunately, statistics show that 48% of marriages that happen before the age of eighteen will end in divorce within the first ten years. That number moves down to 24% after the age of 25. Most students at WSHS who were interviewed agreed that you should wait until your late 20’s or early 30’s because many feel that becoming financially stable is important before getting married. Some students also believe overall you should do what makes you happy.

Marriages are built on many different elements. In order to maintain a healthy marriage there must be trust, good communication, patience, and generosity. Other components that contribute to a good marriage are honesty, respect for another’s viewpoint, and willingness to make compromises while still remaining true to one’s self. If your relationship is lacking in those areas that could be a sign you should wait more time before getting married. Marriage is work but can be worth it because you always have someone by your side.

Marriage rates peaked in the 1980s and have been steadily decreasing, over the past decades. To most youth, getting married is something they aspire to do. However, that can be hard for some kids who grow up with divorced parents. Divorces are not only life altering for the people in them, but for the family members especially children. Marriage is one of the first steps to starting a family of your own, which is why you need to be smart about who you choose to marry.

While many people are happily married, some marriages just don’t work. In fact, almost 50% of marriages will end in divorce, and the chances of divorce increases while getting remarried. That is not to say a marriage is a 50/50 coin toss; you can set yourself up for a higher success rate by making sure you really love the person, and are ready for marriage.

When people get a divorce the money they have is split 50/50 among the people getting divorced, unless you have a prenuptial agreement. A prenuptial agreement is a legal document that says how your assets will be divided if the marriage fails. People can sign the agreement before marriage. It makes it so spouses are protected from each other’s debt, and money is no longer split 50/50. A lot of people assume it is only for rich but anyone can get a prenuptial agreement prior to getting married.

Marriage is a big deal and shouldn’t be taken lightly, which is why most people now live with each other before marriage and test the water. Marriage is not supposed to be perfect or easy there will always be fights and things to disagree on, however there’s always going to be the love and security of a person.

Marriage is a large step and something people should put lots of thought into, and marriage is not for everyone. Overall, having someone you can embrace life with can make life easier. You should still pursue whatever makes you happy.

What makes a good marriage?

“Communication is important and listening even when you don’t want to.” – Librarian Ms. Forfa
“The unconditional love you have for each other, and the communication between you two.” – Erica Peterson, Junior
“Loyalty, and truthfulness, and communication.”
– Ymani Carmichael, senior and Brianna Crowley, Juniors
“Not getting divorced and trust.”- Jacob Acevedo, Sophomore
“Admiration for one another.” – Michael Abbott, Senior