Credit Opportunities Offered Outside Of The Classroom

Alyssa Blair, Editor-In-Chief

At WSHS, there are other ways to earn credit on your transcript besides the traditional classroom experience. Our school offers several alternative programs that allow students to work towards their required 110 credits for graduation.

One of those programs is the option to work an internship within the school. In order to become an intern, a student must be in their junior or senior year and within good academic and disciplinary standing. After securing an internship position with either a department or another area of the school, like the library or the main office, there is paperwork that must be filled out and filed before a student can become an intern the following year. “Internships are limited and students who desire an internship should ask early in the scheduling process,” advised Mrs. White, the guidance department chair. In their internship, students will be evaluated on a pass or fail basis. So long as they receive a “P” under their listed internship, the student will receive credit.

Apart from internships inside the school, students also have the option to participate in the Worked Based Learning Program (WBL). “The Work-Based Learning program aims to provide students with an experience that connects the academic world of high school with the world of work. Under the mentorship of an employer, students will work in a workplace, within or outside of school, in a public or private organization, where they participate in the regular workday with common work activities,” said Mrs. Howard, the program overseer. WBL works similar to an in-school internship, where an application must be filled out and approved by the guidance department, and proper arrangements, such as early release, need to be made with the office. This option is allowed for both juniors and seniors. Work can be paid or unpaid. “I intern at the TV Studio and I have been given access to great equipment and have the confidence to produce my own content myself. I also have filmed multiple games and live streamed events. I couldn’t be more happy with the knowledge and experience I now have,” said senior Katelyn Johnson, a senior who is a part of the WBL Program and interns at the Channel 15 Studio.

While internships are a great way for students to learn responsibility and even earn real-world job experiences for what they want to potentially do in their future, there is also the option of dual-enrollment. Dual enrollment is for students who may already or want to take college courses. By providing an official transcript to WSHS from whatever college you may choose to take courses at, you can gain credit for that subject and have it exempt from your final required graduation credits. Like the other forms of the alternative credit, there is a school specific form as well as a signature or authorization from a parent or guardian to participate. For example, if a student takes an English course at a community college, and they provide proof from the school to WSHS, that student could put that credit towards not having to take an English class that school year.

Besides taking college courses, students can take an independent study. An independent study is an extension for a course that already exists at the school that a student wishes to further their education about. Students must arrange for a teacher to oversee and supervise their studies and grade their assignments. They are graded on a letter grade basis. Ask in guidance for the paperwork if this option interests you.

Any student who wishes to participate in any form of alternative form of earning credit should bring it up early in the scheduling process for the next year so that proper forms and arrangements can be completed and made. Internships and dual-enrollment are great opportunities offered at WSHS that not every school offers where students can enrich their education while earning credit towards graduation.