80 Second Editorial Spring 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

80 Second Editorial Spring 2019

Emilia Caney, Opinions Editor

Does your heritage (culture, ethnicity, religion, etc.) influence your daily life in anyway? Why or why not?

“Yes. I come from a family of third generation farmers. I was trained to be compassionate for animals, and I think about it every day.” -Mr. Bell, Art Teacher

“Not my daily life, but it affects holidays, birthdays, etc. We just do thing a little differently.” -Irma Castillo, Junior

“Yes, my culture influences the way I dress and etc, my religion influences my behaviors, how I treat others, and how I deal with my daily life situations etc.” -Hope Manyonge, Junior

“Yes, we speak two languages at home.” -Edeline Sinigur, Sophomore

Do you think AP courses are valuable? Why or why not?

“Absolutely. More than ever, students need high-level, high-expectation courses of study, because, more than ever, we need informed, reasonable, high-skilled thinkers in America.” -Mr. Ballentine, English Teacher

“Yes, the reason is that they give a higher learning step in school then, say, a honors or college course. They give a student the knowledge of ‘Yeah, this is what college could possibly be like when I get there.’ So yes, I think they are valuable.” -Anthony Johnson, Sophomore

Yes, they give you experience and credits for college.” -Chiara Douglas, Sophomore

“Yes I do, as they give a opportunity to increase your GPA more than normal.” -Brian Huynh, Sophomore

Does social media have more of a positive or negative influence on you? Explain.

“Positive, I see some good memes that make me happy.” -Emma Counter, Junior

“It has more of a negative influence because social media starts to make some people believe they aren’t good enough.” -Lily Fericelli, Senior

“According to me it kind of have a positive impact on me. It helps me communicate with people who are my family members in Kenya. But sometimes it has a negative impact because it holds me back from doing some things.” -Hope Manyonge, Junior

“As an adult, I find my social media influence mostly positive. I’ve reconnected with long ago friends and remain up to date with far away family happenings. As a parent of a teen, I also believe social media can have a negative impact. Kids are leaving ‘digital footprints’ and they are not always capable of understanding the far-reaching consequences of one post.” -Ms. Allman, Guidance Counselor

Is there a connection between what you eat and how you feel? If so, elaborate.

Yes. Chocolate makes me happy.” -Mrs. Svec, English Teacher

“Well…  Perhaps. When I’m fatigued I crave peanut butter because I want protein, and I get really happy when I eat chocolate. I don’t know the specifics of it, but I would think that there is a connection.  I mean different foods would cause different chemical reactions in the brain, so that’s what I think.” -Andromeda Fleury, Sophomore

“When I ate two Hershey bars in a row last year I promised myself I would never do that again. I felt awful… but man they were good.” -Mr. Bell, Art Teacher

“Sort of, only because I’m trying to lose weight so if I have something that’s not especially healthy, I may feel guilty.” -Katie Buoniconti, Senior

Do you believe X-Block is useful? Why or why not?

“I believe it can be useful if used properly. I love the open mic! It is a chance for kids to catch up on work. There are probably ways we could make it more predictable in terms of it’s timing and maybe that would make it feel more worthwhile.” -Mr. Garner, English Teacher

“Yes, it gives a period to goof off or catch up on work.” -Matt Ryan, Sophomore

“I think that X-Block is extremely useful because it allows time for student, and student athletes, to complete homework and other work in school, rather than at home where they may not have enough time. It also lets students make up tests, quizzes, and other various work they missed with teachers if they are not able to stay after school. It’s also valuable for the teachers considering 5th block is longer than the rest of the classes, and by having X-Block, it allows the teachers to catch the other classes up to the 5th period classes who have more time.” -Adam Rossmeisl, Sophomore

“No. It is wasted time. It should, if used, be a mandatory study hall.” -Mr. Ballentine, English Teacher

Is common courtesy dead? Why or why not?

“No it’s not dead. It may not be everywhere, but it is alive and well.  I think most of the people you run into, most of the time, are pretty courteous. (We all have our bad days and moments, like the time I cut off Julia Gavel in the parking lot to get to a good spot…) But I think if you look for it, you’ll see it.  If you try it out, you’ll see it even more.” -Mr. Brown, English Teacher

“No, most students in this school usually act with respect, but a few groups of kids at this school don’t have any respect for some people including teachers and janitors.” -Alex Alvarado, Senior

“Heck no! Just hard to find. Some people are absolutely wonderful and others are not.  Common courtesy still exists, but it also depends on what setting you’re in, and what crowds of people are there.” -Andromeda Fleury, Sophomore

“Yes, it’s not as common anymore. Most people are self centered and don’t care about others.” -Emma Counter, Junior

What makes a good coach?

“A good coach is someone that can push you to be the best that you can be. Someone that can also support you in something that you need help in.” -Alakai Antonellis,

“Someone who pushes everybody to do better, does whatever is best for the team, and that actually knows about the sport they are coaching.” -Jack Sheckler, Sophomore

“Mr. Weber aka the GOAT.” –Ethan Garstka, Sophomore

“Devotion, knowledge of sport, connection with team members, no bias.” Ms. Ferri, Alt. School Director

• 80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorials February 2019

• 80 Second Editorial Spring 2019

80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorials Winter 2018

• 80 Second Editorial Spring 2019

80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorials October 2018

• 80 Second Editorial Spring 2019

80 Second Editorials

June 80 Second Editorial Responses

• 80 Second Editorial Spring 2019

80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorials

• 80 Second Editorial Spring 2019

80 Second Editorials

Take the latest 80 Second Editorial Survey

• 80 Second Editorial Spring 2019

80 Second Editorials

January 80 Second Editorial Responses

• 80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorial Questions-Winter Edition

• 80 Second Editorial Spring 2019

80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorial Responses

• 80 Second Editorial Spring 2019

80 Second Editorials

80 Second Editorial Fall 2017 Responses

80 Second Editorial Spring 2019