Fun Fitness Activities Help Train Your Mind And Body

Josana Fenton, Reporter

YOGA

Yoga focuses on your body’s natural state toward health and self-healing. The purpose of yoga is to build strength, awareness and peace in both your mind and your body. The relaxation techniques incorporated in yoga can lessen chronic pain, such as lower back pain, arthritis, headaches and carpal tunnel syndrome. Some benefits of yoga

l

include an increase in flexibility, in strength, weight reduction, cardio and circulatory health, and it can help you to maintain a balanced metabolism. Some nearby yoga studios include Karma Yoga in West Springfield, Second Wind Yoga in Agawam, and the Westfield Yoga Center.

SPINNING

Spin class is indoor cycling which includes pedaling on a stationary bike, using various levels of speed and resistance. Different positions on the bike are used to target different muscles. Spinning can allow you to burn calories and lose weight, improve your cardio for a healthy heart, and improve mental strength, and can increase endurance. Some fitness centers that offer spin classes in West Springfield include Club Fitness, X-Scrape Fitness, and Planet Fitness.

TAI CHI

Tai Chi is a martial art known for treating and preventing health problems. It can help you regain confidence in your body and help train your mind to regain progress. Tai Chi is known for its extensive health benefits. They include increase in muscle strength, flexibility, balance, and aerobic conditioning. This is a slow-motion exercise with casual movements to loosen your muscles. Some nearby places that offer this type of fitness include Center for Harmony in West Springfield, School of Tai Chi also in West Springfield, and Amherst Tai Chi.

ZUMBA

Zumba is a fitness program inspired by various rhythms and dancing styles. The routines feature aerobic or fitness interval training – a combination of fast and slow dance moves that tone and sculpt the body. There are many ways that Zumba and dance classes can improve your health. These include increased in heart health, improved coordination, lowered stress, and weight loss. Some popular genres taught in class are reggaeton, pop, hip-hop, cumbia, merengue and more. Some Zumba classes available nearby are Stacey’s Dance Studio in Holyoke, The Dance Center in Chicopee, and Alegria Dance and Fitness in Ludlow.

HIKING

Hiking is an easy way to stay fit and relieve stress. Hiking can lower risk of heart disease, improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels, can strengthen your core, and can help to build strength in your muscles such as your hamstrings, your quadriceps and your lower legs. Hiking can be a good way to lose weight. It is also an easy way to burn calories. Not only can hiking help with your physical health but it can help your mental health as well. Hiking is known to relieve stress and anxiety and enables you to be alone and think. Some mountains around the area that you can hike include Robinson State Park in Agawam, Skinner Mountain in South Hadley, Peaked Mountain in Monson, and Mt. Tom in Holyoke.

• Fun Fitness Activities Help Train Your Mind And Body

Featured Athletes

Senior Athletes Sign On To College Teams

Sports

Cheerleaders Reach New Heights

Featured Athletes

Athletes Turn Up The Heat During Winter Months

Sports

Spring Sports in Full Swing

Sports

Dive Team Resurfaces

Sports

CTE Becomes More Prevalent in Teens

Sports

Healthy Rivalries Keep Sports Interesting

• Sports

College Recruiting 101: Everything You Need To Know

Sports

Individual And Teams Sports Define Success

• Sports

Chances Of Becoming A Professional Athlete