Healthy Foods Contribute To Overall Well-being

Back to Article
Back to Article

Molly Kennedy, Sports Editor

There is a constant commercializing of fast food places that appeal to people everywhere. Fast food is cheap, mass produced, and becomes easily addictive. Foods such as microwavable meals, flavored chips, or practically anything in a can may offer a cheaper price tag and last longer on the shelf. However, they are lacking in nutritional value. Finding a balanced, healthy diet can be difficult but it is essential to living better and longer. A healthy diet is not only beneficial physically but mentally as well. What you consume has a major influence on how you feel. According to Harvard Medical School, over the past decades the number of chemicals being added to foods has increased rapidly. Fast food restaurants appeal to children through toys, and to parents through adding a bag of apples into the meal. From too many preservatives being added, to plastic being found in food due to plastic containers or wrappings. Processed food is filled with unhealthy ingredients. Children are even more susceptible to being affected because children are smaller and will receive the chemicals in higher doses. It is common for teens to go out and get fast food due instead of eating a balanced meal because it’s quick, easy and tastes good. Growing up eating fast food and heavily processed foods leads to children not getting proper nutrition and not understanding how to have a healthy diet. According to the FDA childhood obesity is at an all time high and one out of every five kids are obese and almost 70% of U.S. adults are overweight or obese. Poor nutrition and being overweight links to chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer which are the leading causes of death and disability in the United States. Eating processed food is programing your body to crave salt, and sugar in the future. Processed foods have added sugar and/or fats which causes blood sugar imbalances and cravings. According to healthline, eating processed food releases more dopamine and other “feel-good” chemicals than eating unprocessed food. However afterwards you are more likely to experience cravings. This can lead to cycles of food addictions and health problems. Processed foods turn to blood sugar soon after being consumed. This causes energy to spike and fall which is bad for anxiety and depression. Too much sugar also can cause inflammation throughout the body, often contributing to mood disorders. Unhealthy diets can lead to acne, increase in chronic diseases, obesity, tooth decay, high blood pressure and other health complications. Limiting sweets is a smart choice, however if parents cut out sweets completely and restrict children’s diets excessively, this can lead to unhealthy eating habits in the future when children are no longer are under the control of their parents. Eating unhealthy sometimes isn’t bad. A balanced diet is important in order to maintain your health. A lot of people try low-fat diets however, it is important to know the difference between good fats and bad fats. Foods such as avocados, peanut butter and olives all have monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are healthy because they improve blood cholesterol levels and decrease the risk of heart disease. Bad fats include saturated fats and trans fats, high amounts of bad fats are unhealthy which are in foods such as baked goods, or high fat dairy products. Food is not always the enemy and eliminating foods is not always the answer. Incorporating certain foods into your diet can be very beneficial. There are specific foods that can help you focus. Foods such as fish, flaxseed, soybeans, and nuts all have lots omega-3 fatty acids helps the brain. Omega-3 has also shown to lower rates in depression and schizophrenia. Sunflower seeds, spinach, broccoli and almonds are all good sources of vitamin E. Vitamin E prevents cells from being damaged and boost immune system. Vitamin E deficiency has been linked to high levels of depression and anxiety. Creating a balanced diet that sustains your body throughout the day is vital for maintaining a positive mindset, as well as being healthy overall. By building a life around a healthy diet, people will enjoy these benefits in everyday life.

• News

Students Impress At West Side’s Got Talent

• Healthy Foods Contribute To Overall Well-being

News

History and Heritage Fair Returns With Flair

Features

A Familiar Face Is Back On Patrol

News

Principal Reflects During “Senior” Year

• News

Homelessness And Poverty: A Harsh Reality For Students And Families

News

Understanding Credit Essential To Financial Success

News

Consumers Face Difficulty Being Informed In Era Of ‘Fake News’

News

Government Shutdown Causes Chaos Across The Country

National/Global

World’s Most Isolated Tribe Makes Headlines Again

News

Techniques Available to Shed Some Light on Seasonal Depression