Students Impress Judges At West Side’s Got Talent

Molly Kennedy, Sports Editor

On May 1st the Business Club hosted the 2nd West Side’s Got Talent. There were a total of seven performances, along with four judges.

In between acts, sophomore, Andromeda Fluery hosted. She introduced each performance with a welcome. The small, yet enthusiastic audience applauded each act before and after they performed.

Judges included teachers Timothy Garner, Rachel Svec, Stan Svec, and Steve Svec. Judges were appointed by Maddie Schwede, president of the Business Club. “I can say the worst part of the experience is picking a winner. I love the performances and I admire and appreciate each person who gets up on that stage.” said Garner. At the end judges gave critics in order to improve students preforming skills, such as their stage presense and volume level. Judges Stan, and Steve Svec gave constructive criticism to students so they could improve.

The first act of the night was by Minja and Seti Juma who danced to “Indie” by Dully Skyes featuring Harmonize. The duet stood out with their matching, glittery gold shirts. They danced in sync and were very in tune with the music throughout their performance.

The following act was done by sophomore, Lola Casillas. She sang “She Used to Be Mine” by Sara Bareilles. Casillas placed third with her performance. The talent show is really a way for students to come out of their comfort zones. “I wanted to build more self-confidence and show myself what I’m capable of,” said Casillas.

The next act was by, senior, Luke Dukette. He sang “My Way” by Frank Sinatra. Dukette is no stranger to being on stage, as he also performs in shows with the drama club. Freshman, Veronica Pileggi sang “Unbreakable” by Tori Kelly. After a brief intermission Freshmen, Julian Mayers and Elias Yates took the stage and performed freestyle rap.

Senior, Rob Dec played “Can’t Help Falling in Love with You” by Elvis Presley on the saxophone. Dec placed second with his performance. At the beginning Dec dedicated his performance to his mom in honor of her birthday. The last performance of the night was a duet by sophomores, Grace Wayrynen and Meghan Pinter who sang “Just Give Me a Reason” by Pink. Wayrynen impressed the judges and placed first for the second year in a row.

Overall the students really dazzled the judges, “I just love all the creativity we see in our students.” said Rachel Svec. The talent show is a great place to show off a unique talent. The talent show not only helps students show their talents but also helps contribute to a great cause. Half the proceeds made at the show were donated to the Springfield Rescue Mission (SRM). At SRM they help the homeless and poor in Greater Springfield by providing food, clothing, medical care and many other items and programs to help people in need.