Fall Sports Update 2019

Molly Kennedy, Sports Editor

Boys Cross Country started out their season well in the Duck Race Invitational, where they placed first. Although losing a few impressive seniors last year, they gained new freshman and have older runner’s stepping up. 

Girls Cross Country welcomed in a new coach this year, Mattew Griffin, who coaches girls indoor and outdoor track and field. Although a smaller team, Girls Cross Country is doing well with new members, and a tight knit group of upperclassmen. 

Boys varsity soccer gained two freshmen after losing 11 seniors last year. They started out the season slow, but were able to score their first goal and tie against Minnechaug and were able to tie them.  

The Golf team lost a significant senior last year, Nick Demaio, but is welcoming two new freshmen this year: Sammy Johnson and Olivia Pace. Pace is the first girl to join the program in history. Their scores are significantly better from previous years, and are improving as the season goes on. 

Field Hockey has been improving their record from last year, and are starting their year with a better record. They also have a talented and experienced group of upperclassmen leading the team this year. 

Although in their first game they experienced some injuries, the football team is having a strong season. There are many stand out players such as brothers Ryan and Mike Russell. They recently helped the team in their unexpected victory against Longmeadow.

With a big win against Agawam, in a 3-2 match at the beginning of their season, the Girls Volleyball Team is setting themselves up for a great season. With three new freshman added to their varsity team, and a very skilled group of upperclassmen, they are a team to pay attention to.