Popular Word Game Beneficial Beyond Just Bragging Rights

Jaliah Jada Vargas, Opinion Editor

Wordle, which was just bought by The New York Times, has caught the world by storm. It’s a web based game in which people have six attempts to guess a five letter word with feedback on how accurate it is. People have been posting their winning streak and competing to get the word of the day. Its popularity among teens and adults is undeniable as it has attracted over 3 million players around the world. But the question is, how beneficial is it to the brain? Well, it is proving how it’s making people think about words, and it’s stimulating the brain. But are there other benefits that we aren’t seeing yet? 

“I enjoy playing the game because it focuses on problem solving through elimination and three simple prompts: green squares mean the letter is in the right place and in the word, yellow squares mean the letter is in the word but not in the right spot, and gray squares mean the letter is not in the word. Through this process of elimination you also get to discover new or old words, and sometimes you find out how many words are a lot more similar than you think. It’s a great way to test your brain and have some fun while doing it,” said senior Roman Conca

Math games and word games like Wordle provide the brain with many advantages. They allow the player to be motivated to solve problems. According to the National Institute of Health, “…these types of games help to improve brain health markers. These markers include cognitive ability, brain function, and brain structure.” Word games also help improve memory and have been known to prevent Alzheimers as solving them helps to stimulate and strengthen the parts of the brain that are connected to memory.

Wordle puts out a daily puzzle and players have six chances to guess the day’s secret five-letter word. Players type in a word as a guess, and the game tells you which letters are or aren’t in the word. The aim is to figure out the secret word with the fewest guesses. At least one of your classmates or even your teachers have been talking about and even posting their winnings in the game. 

¨I really like the game because it provides a challenge on how well you can arrange letters, it refreshes everyday, sometimes it can be frustrating when you have the right letters but not the right word,” said freshman Thu Zar Win.

Wordle helps increase vocabulary, improve spelling, and helps you concentrate on tasks. Being able to focus on a task and use critical thinking can be beneficial in many ways such as in school and other everyday life situations. If you haven’t already, give it a try and see for yourself. Similar games that provide the same benefits for brain function are Apensar, 2048, Tetris, and Wordscapes. All of which stimulate your brain while providing some sort of puzzle or challenge to complete.  But beware as these games can quickly become a distraction!