St. Patrick Day Parade Returns

West+Springfield+Parade+Float%2C+Colleen+and+her+Court.+

West Springfield Parade Float, Colleen and her Court.

Kytiana Thompson, News Editor

Sunday March 20th, Holyoke held the first St. Patrick’s Day Parade in two years. The West Springfield parade float called “It takes a village” won Best Colleen Float, looking stunning as it rode through the parade route, and West Springfield Marching Terriers took the first place award for high school band marching units at this year’s Holyoke St. Patrick’s Parade!

On the float was Colleen Kathleen Beliveau and her court Julia Maiolo, Megan Pinter, Erin Melvin and Kaitlin Bailey who had to wait two years to participate in the parade due to  covid. The first glimpse of West Springfield in the parade was the high school band, followed by the Town Marshall, Chief William Flaherty. Following behind him was The Fire Department Marching Unit, then the Ray DiStefano Citizenship Award Winner CARE Coalition, after them came the Olde Mittineague Award Winner Kelley and Katzer Real Estate, then the Jinx Powers Award Winner Christopher Thompson, and after him came the West Springfield St.Patrick’s Committee, followed by the float. Behind the float was the West Springfield 2020 Senior Colleen Shelby Manson, after her was the State Rep. Michel Finn, then behind him was the West Springfield Mayor Will Reichelt, behind the Mayor was The West Springfield High School Boys 2021 State Champion Soccer Team, followed by the West Springfield Town Council and School Committee. The Jack Jonah Foundation followed behind, with the Irish Cultural Center and the Frangler String Band from Philadelphia, then the West Springfield Police Department Chief Paul Connor, and the West Springfield Police Marching Unit, and finally the Cycling Murrays from Cambridge.

Beginning of the West Springfield section of the parade.
West Springfield High School Band marching in the parade.
West Springfield High School Color Guard marching in the parade.
Side view of the West Springfield Float named “It Takes a Village”
Left to Right Colleen Court Erin Melvin, Megan Pinter, Colleen Kathleen Beliveau, in front of her is the Jinx Powers Award Winner Christopher Thompson, to their right is Colleen Court Kaitlin Bailey, and Julia Maiolo.  
Best Colleen Float Ribbon.
West Springfield Boys 2021 State Soccer Champions.
Mayor Will Reichelt and company walking in the parade.
The Cycling Murrys from Cambridge.