The official student news site of WSHS

The official student news site of WSHS

The official student news site of WSHS

Why Reading is Good For You

Teenagers are very grouchy and don’t like to be told what to do, for example having to read a book in english class gets me riled up too but finding interests in certain books you enjoy can really help you get into reading. I myself really enjoy reading but it took a while for me to get used to it. I actually hated reading, would never pick up a book and maybe forge my parents signatures on the reading logs, that’s how much I despised it. But now as I’m older, if you’re not reading what are you doing? The textbooks and school related reading is boring. I get it but reading an actual plot or something that piques your interest can help with stress, anxiety and overall make a fun hobby. Studies show that grabbing a book before bed can calm down your brain and actually make you not prone to anxiety. ¨Reading can even relax your body by lowering your heart rate and easing the tension in your muscles. A 2009 study at the University of Sussex found that reading can reduce stress by up to 68%. It works better and faster than other relaxation methods, such as listening to music or drinking a hot cup of tea.¨ (University of Minnesota) 

The first time I picked up a book was in 2021, I was in 8th grade and previously had disliked reading before, so I didn’t expect much but when I actually started finding myself motivated to read it, I couldn’t stop and I haven’t stopped ever since. Some tips I can give is to find your genre or trope, for example there are genres such as romance, mystery, thriller, and alot more. I personally find myself steering towards the romance and mystery categories. Another little trick is to give the book a fair chance, I say read about 50 pages and so and if it still doesn’t catch your attention move onto the next book, if you don’t like the book you shouldn’t read it, you’ll be wasting your time when you could have been doing something else and nobody wants that feeling. Annotating your books or writing little notes can make your reading a little funner, you could write how you feel about the book in the margins or put a little tab on your favorite chapter or scene and reread it once you get a chance to remember how much you liked the book.