The official student news site of WSHS

The official student news site of WSHS

The official student news site of WSHS

Concussions in Professional Football

Concussions in Professional Football

Concussions occur and are happening in football all the time and more recently has been really highlighted in the media and now people are finally starting to make a change to it. First off before anything, a concussion is an injury to the brain that results in temporary loss of normal brain function. Also Professional Football (whether that be NFL or NCAA Football) is becoming weaker and softer with penalties and undeserved fines for unfair safety and concussion protocols and many people including those who are heavily involved in the game disagree.  

One example of this becoming a huge factor in lowering the level of entertainment and triggering fans to a point is last year during the 2022-2023 season when Jabrill Peppers was complaining about how the league is getting too soft nowadays. He mentions “Anytime you hit somebody and it looks too hard they flag you.” He also talks about this saying how he has had to change his style of play and game to fit into today’s rulebook and climate which in my opinion is not a good look for the league when a player has to purposefully change how he plays just to not get penalized and fined when they have already been playing like this for years and there was no trouble beforehand. 

Another player that comes out to speak about the game and the league getting softer is Tom Brady. Brady mentions a quote saying “There’s a lot of plays and hits that are happening on quarterbacks now, that are flags for defensive players, that probably weren’t that way 10 or 15 years ago. ” So my question to this is, why would we need to start calling those penalties when 10 to 15 years ago they weren’t called and now we have only better equipment and better cameras and better angles to be able to tell if the hit was actually clean or not. Also when someone who comes out and is clearly seen as the GOAT of the sport talks about it and is confused by the penalties as well it is clearly a concern for the league. Especially when most of the rulebook and calls are meant to be on his side of the ball and give him the benefit. 

On the other side of this argument though I can clearly see why the NFL might be finding a reason to take this stand and be more cautious on CTE and Concussions. Antonio Brown, who is now out of the league clearly sustained a lot of head to head contact and trauma throughout his playing day in the NFL. And we can’t fully tell right now but everyone is very concerned about him having some sort of brain dysfunction as now he is acting as if he is a completely different person. Along with this players are getting concussions on the field and collapsing mid game such as Tua Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts who have both possibly played football games with concussions before and passed the medical staff with them